Welcome to the Valdez Avalanche Center
Avalanche information from the Port of Valdez to Milepost 65 on the Richardson Highway.
Public observations are encouraged and aid the accuracy of bulletins.
NEWS and EVENTS:
- New high elevation weather station <here> at 6600 feet above the Valdez Glacier <here>
- Project Zero (avalanche fatalities) Know the Snow video contest <here>
- Spring Celebration coming up! April 5 Big Fat Bhudda birthday party for Paul & Steve – mountain people come together to groove and support at Valdez Eagles
- Thank you all who came out for the Valhalla Movie. Benefits go toward the Mike O’Leary Avalanche Education Scholarship. You’re awesome Valdez!
- Begin planning your winter adventures by checking the avalanche bulletin – now available by smart phone. Download either the iOS or Android version of the app for free <here>. Check out our community’s snow observations. Share what you see out there – it helps us all LIVE TO RIDE ANOTHER DAY.
- Want to learn a framework for making good decisions in the backcountry? Take Avalanche Level 1. Coming up March 20-23, 2014 at Black Rapids Lodge (near Delta in the Alaska Range.)
- Want to learn more about avalanches and snow? Take the upcoming Avalanche Level 2: Analyzing Snow Stability & Avalanche Hazard through PWSCC, March 8-11, 2014. Valdez.
- Thanks to the City of Valdez and all our community supporters!
- Looking for guidebooks?
- Chuting Valdez – Steep backcountry skiing in and around Valdez by Aaron Brown. Available here – $15
- Alaska Backcountry Skiing Valdez & Thompson Pass by Matt Kinney. Available here – $15.95
- Thompson Pass Mile Posts and Common Terrain Names
Share your observations. Learn from your friends. Improve the bulletin. Stay informed.
Be a member: Supporters, Donors, and Sponsors. If you use the avalanche bulletin and/or benefit from avalanche education opportunities in our community, please consider becoming a member. If you aren’t in the position to make a financial donation, we are always looking for volunteers to help at local events.