Avalanche information for the Port of Valdez to Milepost 65 on the Richardson Highway
Public observations are encouraged and aid the accuracy of bulletins in our data-sparse region.
GET the GEAR: Ensure everyone has an avalanche transceiver, shovel, and probe on their person and hows how to use them.
GET the TRAINING: Take an avalanche course.
GET the FORECAST: Make a riding plan based on the current avalanche and weather forecast.
GET the PICTURE: If you see recent avalanche activity, unstable snow exists. Riding on or underneath steep slopes is dangerous.
GET OUT OF HARM’S WAY: Don’t go to help your stuck friend. One at a time on all avalanche slopes. Don’t group up in runout zones.
NEWS and EVENTS: Happy New Year from Valdez Avalanche Center Newsletter
- AIARE Avalanche Level 1 course in Valdez January 29-31, 2016 Learn more…
- AIARE Avalanche Level 2 course in Valdez March 3-6, 2016 Learn more…
- Introduction to Avalanche Class in Glennallen Feb.2, 2016 Learn more…
- AIARE Avalanche Level 1 course in Glennallen Feb.2-4, 2016 Learn more…
- Announcing the launch of The Avalanche Project. We are proud to support this initiative that collaborates industry promoting safety messaging.
- Valdez Snowmachine Club Facebook page has updates on events.
- Gain avalanche skills and know-how by taking a class: find avalanche classes offered throughout Alaska
Valdez Avalanche Center 2015-16 staff: Kevin Salys, Sarah Carter, Taylor Brown, Pete Carter, and intern Kyle Sobek
- New NOAA NWS weather product: daily spot forecast for Thompson Pass <here>
- Prepare for winter backcountry adventures with your local avalanche bulletin – now available by smart phone. Download either the iOS or Android version of the app for free <here>.
- Check out our community’s snow observations. Share what you see out there – it helps us all LIVE TO RIDE ANOTHER DAY.
- Many thanks to the City of Valdez and all our community supporters!
- Alaska Backcountry Skiing Valdez & Thompson Pass by Matt Kinney.
- Valdez – Steep backcountry skiing in and around Valdez by Aaron Brown.
- Trevor Gram’s awesome Thompson Pass map
- Thompson Pass Mile Posts and Common Terrain Names
- Valdez and Thompson Pass ski runs map <here>
Past Season Stuff:
- 2014-15 summary of weather / snowpack stability <here> and snowfall chart <here>
- 2014-15 VAC membership mting May 5 report
Be a member: Supporters, Donors, and Sponsors. If you use the avalanche bulletin and/or benefit from avalanche education opportunities in our community, please become a member. If you aren’t in the position to make a financial donation, we are always looking for volunteers to help at local events.