Welcome to the Valdez Avalanche Center
Avalanche information from the Port of Valdez to Milepost 65 on the Richardson Highway.
Public observations are encouraged and aid the accuracy of bulletins.
NEWS and EVENTS:
- April 18-20, 2014 Mountain Man Hill Climb Thompson Pass
- Thank you BIG FAT BUDDHA and all those who made April 5th’s benefit a success. More than $1000 was raised for avalanche education scholarships!
- April 19 Wilderness Safety Challenge including avalanche awareness – 10am-2pm PWSCC
- Friend and former Valdez heli-ski guide died following Haines avalanche March 15, 2014.
- New high elevation weather station <here> at 6600 feet above the Valdez Glacier <here>
- Begin planning your backcountry adventures by checking the avalanche bulletin – now available by smart phone. Download either the iOS or Android version of the app for free <here>. Check out our community’s snow observations. Share what you see out there – it helps us all LIVE TO RIDE ANOTHER DAY.
- Thanks to the City of Valdez and all our community supporters!
- Looking for guidebooks?
- Chuting Valdez – Steep backcountry skiing in and around Valdez by Aaron Brown. Available here – $15
- Alaska Backcountry Skiing Valdez & Thompson Pass by Matt Kinney. Available here – $15.95
- Project Zero (avalanche fatalities) Know the Snow video contest <here>
- Thompson Pass Mile Posts and Common Terrain Names
- Valdez and Thompson Pass ski runs map <here>
Share your observations. Learn from your friends. Improve the bulletin. Stay informed.
Be a member: Supporters, Donors, and Sponsors. If you use the avalanche bulletin and/or benefit from avalanche education opportunities in our community, please consider becoming a member. If you aren’t in the position to make a financial donation, we are always looking for volunteers to help at local events.